Friday, January 4, 2008

Poetry Friday: Changing Interests

I'm having so much fun writing poems for Poetry Friday. This one is about my son, who really does revel in reading books these days. Last night he got ready for bed very early. Since we had lots of extra time and both of us were having a lot of fun, we read seventeen books (a new record, even for me... usually we read three books per night). When we were finished, he asked for more! Seeing that my throat was hoarse from reading P.D. Eastman, Dr. Seuss, Nancy Tafuri, Marjorie Priceman, Donald Crews, Sandra Boynton (and a few others), I decided it was time for him to go to bed.

The Poetry Friday round-up is at A Year of Reading today.


Changing Interests

When he was a baby
Books didn’t interest him

When he was one
He loved to eat books

When he was two
He loved to play with books

Now that he’s three
He loves to read books

Especially if it
delays
his
bedtime

4 comments:

  1. How fun to see your son's reading *tastes* develop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! My two year old is particularly attached to Dr. Seuss's "I can read with my eyes shut" It's charming to see him clutch it and insist on carrying it around everywhere. He seems to think Foo Foo the Snoo is the Grinch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a good one. My son chewed books for quite a while.

    Susan T.
    Chicken Spaghetti

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary Lee- Exactly!

    Cloudscome- It's so funny that you mentioned I Can Read With My Eyes Shut. It was actually one of the 17 books we read last night (and it was the first time I read with my son). He loved it.

    Susan T.- Thanks! And I'm very glad my son stopped snacking on books.

    ReplyDelete